Contact Us

Bishop Lloyd & Jackson Solicitors Limited


Practical Advice For Tenants

1 min read

Is your home safe and fit to live in? 

Your landlord is responsible to make sure your house is safe and fit for you and your family to live in, this applies to all tenancies that started from 20 March 2019 onwards, this responsibility starts:

  • From the date you move in.
  • During the whole time that you remain there as a tenant. 

Examples of what is considered as unfit, poor conditions or any conditions that may place you or your family at risk of harm can include:

  • Pest infestations
  • Gas safety issues
  • Unsafe electrics
  • Damp
  • Mould
  • Cold draughts
  • Disrepair
  • Lack of fire safety

What steps can you take if your home is not fit or safe to live in? 

  1. Firstly, you must report the issues you have to your landlord or managing agents.
  2. Try and keep a record of your report as evidence such as follow up in an email or keep telephone records.
  3. If your landlord does nothing, you can complain to the local councils’ environmental health officer (EHO), you can find their number on your councils’ website.
  4. Seek legal advice from Bishop, Lloyd & Jackson Solicitors, we are here to support you all the way.
  5. You might need to take court action to force the landlord to do the works and maybe to pay you compensation for their failures. Call Bishop, Lloyd & Jackson Solicitors, we can assist with this.


Related News


New UK Immigration Measures For 2024

The government has recently introduced a comprehensive set of immigration measures, that will directly affect social care workers, skilled professionals, and their families. The goal is to achieve the most...

Read full story