Contact Us

Bishop Lloyd & Jackson Solicitors Limited


I haven’t been able to pay my rent, my landlord wants me out!

3 min read

Maybe you couldn’t pay your rent because:

– You had to pay out for an unexpected expense.

– Your hours of work were reduced.

– You had a problem in getting your benefits paid.

– You were simply juggling other debts.

– You became very unwell and couldn’t manage your tenancy.

These are familiar and common reasons why rent arrears can accrue, it’s often circumstances beyond your control that build up arrears on your rent account.

Have you received a notice to leave your home?

You are entitled to receive a written notice from your landlord if he wants you to leave the property. The type of notice depends on the type of tenancy you have. Call us today and we can advise you on the type of tenancy you have, the type of notice your landlord should serve you and the length of the notice.

Do you have to leave your home straightaway when you receive a notice from your landlord?

Getting a notice from your landlord does not mean you have to leave immediately depending on the type of tenancy you have. Your landlord still must get a court order before they can evict you, though there could be costs consequences involved. Call us now to find out more.

Your landlord cannot start any court proceedings until such time that the notice period runs out.

TIP: Try to pay back the arrears if possible or come to a suitable and affordable arrangement with the landlord to repay the arrears back over a period, this could stop the landlord issuing court proceedings.

My landlord has still issued court proceedings-what now?

If your landlord has issued in the Court to evict you. If this happens, do not wait any further, call us now as we can help you and help you save your home in most circumstances.

 You will then be sent paperwork by the Court; this paperwork will set out your landlords case against and he will explain to the court why he wants to evict you i.e. because you haven’t paid your rent, stopped paying your rent, accumulated rent arrears or other various reasons.

The papers you will receive from the court will include a Claim Form and Particulars of Claim. You will also receive a Defence Form which we can help you complete so call us now. This defence form should be sent back to the Court, ideally within 14 days.

Will there be a Court hearing?

Yes, there will be a court hearing and you should attend it. Call us now and we can go with you and represent you at the hearing. It can be quite daunting or stressful going to court and we are here to help you all the way.

The date and time when you should go to court will be shown usually on the front page of the Claim Form that you receive from the court or the Notice Of Hearing you will receive from the Court.

What happens at the Court hearing?

The Judge will listen to both the landlord and tenant or their respective legal advisers and will look at any evidence before them on the day. The first hearing doesn’t usually last very long but is long enough for the Judge to decide whether the case should continue on a defended basis or whether the case can be decided that day.

There are several different Orders the Judge can make, call us now and we can explain the options that Judges have in cases such as yours and we will explain how we can help you save your home.

Bishop, Lloyd & Jackson Limited have an experienced and specialist team to make sure our clients stay ahead, and we can advise on all aspects of housing law. We are a ‘one stop shop’ for all of your housing related issues you may face, we understand having to see a Solicitor about your home can be very distressing, we want to help you and guide you all the way to ensure we take the stress away from you. We are only a call away and all your troubles could be far away.

Please contact the office by telephone on 020 3096 5984 for a no obligation discussion or you can email us on [email protected] .  


Related News


New UK Immigration Measures For 2024

The government has recently introduced a comprehensive set of immigration measures, that will directly affect social care workers, skilled professionals, and their families. The goal is to achieve the most...

Read full story